- Eat before you drink.
- Prep! How are you getting home? What’s your back-up plan?
- Snack on some munchies while you drink.
- Plan! How many drinks will I have?
- Pace and Space – Pace yourself by alternating alcohol with non-alcohol drinks such as water, coffee or tea, juice, soda, mixers such as club soda or tonic water, or “virgin” drinks/non-alcohol beer. Get in the habit of “nursing” a drink.
- Hydrate! Stay hydrated by drinking water.
- Track – Keep track of how much you are drinking, how often and over what period of time. It only takes a couple of servings of alcohol to impair judgment and to be over the legal limit to drive.
Size it Up
- Measure the alcohol in each drink.
- Know the truth about serving size?
- ONE SERVING of alcohol = 12 oz. of beer, OR 5 ounces of wine, OR a 1 ? ounce “shot”.
Other things to consider
- Beware of “triggers” ? Avoid people or places that “trigger” a desire to drink more and for the wrong reasons.
- Take on Temptation – Prepare yourself to handle urges or temptations to drink more.
- Know your “No” ?Have a way to say “No Thanks” when you are offered a drink that you really don’t want.